|Way to Die #126|
|Name of the death is a pun on the American video game retailer "GameStop"|
|Date||October 4, 2008 - October 6, 2008|
|Location||Mattituck, New York|
| Episode this death|
was featured in
|"Stupid Is As Death Does"|
"Ji-Had It Coming"
"Game Stopped", Way to Die #126, (also alternatively titled as "Game Over") is the fifth death featured in the episode "Stupid Is As Death Does", which aired on March 29, 2011.
There's a reason why video games make more money than movies: they're as addictive as crack. Garth was an addicted video gamer with his only reality being virtual. He spent most of his time playing video games and so little time doing anything else, even going to the bathroom and sleeping. During hours of gameplay, he eats streams of junk food, such as large amounts of pizza and chugs down plenty of soft drinks and not much water in order to keep up.
Body sores and pusses were inflicted after 52 hours, due to improper diet and neglected hygiene. He had just beaten many new players of the game, except for Tina. If Garth could beat Tina, he would be highest ranked player in the world. Somehow Tina remained cool as a cucumber while Garth looked like a big zit that was about to burst. Finally, at the last second, Tina defeated him. Frustrated and furious over his loss, Garth stood up after 60 non-stop hours (2 1/2 days) of playing, and drops dead on the floor. The cause of his death was that clots had formed in his leg veins from being sedentary for so long that they had moved into his heart and lungs when he got up.
"Garth ruined his health and sacrificed his life by living in a virtual fantasy world. Too bad his wake up call... was his own death. Game Over... Garth."
- Pat "PatTheNESPunk" Contri - Video Game Historian
- Dr. Boyd Flinders - Surgeon
- Yuri Argonis - Garth (uncredited)
- Martha Laice - Tina (lead)
As seen on Spike TV's website
"A slovenly video gamer participates in a marathon championship gaming tournament but the lack of sleep and nourishment causes fatal heart failure."
- Also called "Game Over" on the Spike TV website.
- This is based on the death of actual game addict Lee Seung Seop who died after he played Star Craft for 60 hours non-stop (the same amount of time that Garth played).
- This death is also based on the death of English gamer Chris Staniforth who would play Xbox for periods up to 12 hours and died when a blood clot traveled from his legs into his lungs, similar to Garth's death.
- Rather than using CGI graphics for the explanation of this death, this death uses 8-bit sprite graphics in the style of the classic 1981 arcade game Donkey Kong (which would later start a video game series by the Japanese video game conglomerate Nintendo).
- YouTuber PatTheNESpunk appeared in this death as a video game historian.
- The woman who portrayed Tina is Marisha Ray, a main cast member of Critical Role and a rising star in the voice acting scene; both are mostly due to being Matthew Mercer's significant other.